Thursday, June 9, 2016

When something isn't working…

Stop doing it.

Some of may have noticed this blog has been on hiatus for the past six months. That's right, I took down a reasonably successful blog and just stopped, cold turkey.

Part of that was due to a long-term contract, but to be truthful part of it was due to a need to re-assess why I write it.

I've always thought that if your advice is worth anything, you should be able to take it yourself.

I started this blog to provide insight for you into the world of start-ups, which I define as any time between the day you think of starting a nonprofit or small business and when it first becomes self-sustaining.

The less altruistic motive was to generate serious clients that truly wanted to provide a service or product and make or attract money while doing it.
 
The blog did generate client interest, but not from the type of serious entrepreneurs and social-preneuers I wanted to help.

Instead, I was seeing a lot of people looking for a get-rich-quick scheme. Maybe that's a result of the hustler world we live in, but part of it was me.

You see, I honestly believed that there were a lot of people out there who wanted to experience the satisfaction of having built something with their own two hands, nurturing it and watching it grow.

I would provide the knowledge via consulting services and the nuts-and-bolts tools like grant writing, planning documents, and web and print content, and they would use them to move forward.

All right, all right, so that was naïve.  In other words, I misidentified the target market.

I just had no idea how naïve until I started the afore-mentioned contract. Without giving away any secrets, it was designed to monitor large societal shifts in attitudes. 

Suffice it to say, this blog was always for people that really want to do the work to succeed. But now it will ask you to demonstrate that commitment.

Here's where this blog is going from here.

Just how serious are you about succeeding?  We're about to find out.

The main content will only be available to readers that ask for it.  It will offer new content on a semi-weekly schedule on a subscription basis.  The topic will be teased before publishing, so you'll know what to expect. 


I still think there are people out there that fit my target audience, but I could be wrong. If, after 3 months, i.e. by September 30 , 2016,  it isn't proving to be viable, the blog goes away forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment